Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Dove's Campaign for Real Beauty



Dove's decision to launch their "Real Beauty" campaign was risky. Founded on a message that forces us to reevaluate what society has deemed "beautiful," Dove used only real women in their ads--fat, wrinkles, cellulite and all! I remember when I first turned the page in my magazine and saw Dove's two-page ad with overweight, naked women. I was a little taken aback. I don't think I had the reaction to the brand that they'd hoped. However, their television ads, which showed how media's unrealistic definition of beauty is negatively affecting women and self esteem, were emotionally moving and changed perspective on the entire campaign. The next time I saw one of Dove's print ads, I appreciated the message more.

Within six months, sales of the products featured in the ads increased 600 percent in the first two months. The Campaign for Real Beauty exceeded company expectations, and global sales surpassed the $1 billion mark in 2004.

It wasn't just the campaign's empowering message to women that made it successful. And it wasn't just that it ventured away from celebrity endorsements into using "real women" in their various ads. I think what made this campaign so successful was the way it was packaged. It was the creative element.

For example, instead of calling their products "anti-aging," they pushed the idea of "pro-aging." The idea that aging was beautiful and should be embraced is what resonated with women, and made them remember the ads more.

This shows that an ad campaign doesn't have to include flawless celebrities to sell products. They need to truly understand their market--and advertise accordingly.




Works Cited:
http://www.marketingprofs.com/articles/2007/2259/the-real-story-behind-the-success-of-doves-campaign-for-real-beauty#ixzz1cJgL6ELP

No comments:

Post a Comment